Patience Pays

James 1:4 " But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

Today I went to fix my cracked screen saver on my iPhone. The thought that the actual screen was kaput sent shivers through my wallet! The relief that it was only the screen saver that needed replacing was short-lived because it also comes at a price.
I had been taught the value of patience and there were diverse teachers that warrant honourable mention:
Cricket is one. Some say they invented cricket to teach people the concept of eternity. They used to play timeless tests. Once the English team were looking to win after 10 days of cricket but they had to catch a train from Durban to Cape Town in order to board their ship, the Athlone Castle back to England.
  • At ten days, this was the longest first-class match in history
  • A record 5,463 deliveries were bowled in the match
  • Wally Hammond hit his 21st Test hundred, equalling the record of Don Bradman
  • No previous Test had ever produced as many as 16 fifties by both teams
  • Each side in the Test scored over 900 runs - South Africa 1,011, England 970
  • This was the biggest aggregate of runs in any first-class match, 1,981
For more on the timeless test click here: http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/392658.html 

Another teacher of patience my Father the Missionary. He has taught me to wait when people are being difficult. You can out wait someone and this is actually the first attribute of love - patient long-suffering. We have waited in African offices, churches, airports and for people over the years and many times our attitude impressed them so that we gained favour.

Marriage and family life is also a good teacher of patience. If we allow God to slowly teach us patience and if we allow it to complete its work in our hearts and minds we see the perfection we desire.

The little girl aged 12 once prayed: "Lord, Lord I want to be 18!" he answered her prayer... 6 years later.

So my phone was being fixed and the lady was nervous because she was fumbling the process  a bit. I stood still and talked to her about her name that was quite unique. I stood still like cricketers can. She gave me 30% off because I was patient. What do you know - patience pays! Praise God I didn't complain this time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once in a Blue Moon

5 reasons to Advertise in the Telescope Magazine